How can I help others?
To donate or provide assistance to disaster survivors in the United States, visit the Red Cross mobile site (or their full site).
In Missouri, visit http://sema.dps.mo.gov/recover/donations.asp (full site)
In Alabama, visit http://www.servealabama.gov (full site)
In Mississippi, visit http://www.mcvs.org (full site)
To assist disaster survivors outside of the United States, visit the Center for International Disaster Information at www.cidi.org (full site) or Interaction at www.interaction.org (full site).
Financial contributions to a recognized disaster relief organization:
- are the most needed and most effective way of helping those impacted by disaster
- allow voluntary organizations to fund response and recovery efforts, obtain goods and services locally, and provide direct financial assistance to disaster survivors to meet their own needs.
If you need help in determining who to give to, National Voluntary Organization Active in Disaster website has a list of major Non-profits that are active in disaster work or you can make your offer through the National Donations Management Network (full site).
- Volunteer with a non-profit organization and be trained before the next event to find meaningful volunteer opportunities following a disaster.
- There are many organizations and faith-based groups in your community that have active disaster programs and need volunteers
- These groups offer a wide range of services following a disaster:
- Confirm what is needed by contacting the voluntary organization of your choice BEFORE taking action
- Unsolicited donated goods such as used clothing, miscellaneous household items, and mixed or perishable foodstuffs require helping agencies to redirect valuable resources away from providing services to sort, package, transport, warehouse, and distribute items that may not meet the needs of disaster survivors.
- If you have a quantity of a given item or class of item to donate, and you need help in determining which organizations to give to, you can make your offer through the National Donations Management Network (full site).