Wheelchair-bound man robbed of lottery winnings receives donation

Print
Email
|

by Velma Scaife, 13News

WVEC.com

Posted on February 11, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Updated Monday, Feb 11 at 6:21 PM

NN person robbed

View larger map

NEWPORT NEWS-- A wheelchair-bound 62-year-old Newport News man had his lottery winnings stolen last week, but today he says he feels richer in more ways than one.
  
Kenneth Jones' misfortune touched many people and Monday he was surprised with a check for $500.  

Amy Hines delivered the check on behalf of a group called "Nawty Dawg Big Heart."  

Hines created the group, which has over 7000 facebook fans, some of whom donated money when they read about Jones' story.  
  
"The group wanted to promote Jones' act of kindness and let him know that we wanted to celebrate what he did before all of the bad things happened," said Hines.
   
When Jones won $500 from the lottery, he gave two cashiers at Mo's Convenience Store on Warwick Boulevard $50 each.  He then gave $5 to a woman short on cash and spent $20 on more lottery tickets.
  
On his way home, somebody stole the rest of his winnings.
  
A Crime Line tip helped police identify a suspect seen in surveillance video from the store.
  
Police are looking for 18-year-old Khaleed McKoy-Ward in connection with the robbery. 
  
Anybody with information on Ward's whereabouts is asked to call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP. 
 

Print
Email
|