NORFOLK-- The people at Keep Norfolk Beautiful want you to be greener in the new year.
Here are some tips to help kick-start 2013:
1. Cook your meals using food purchased from local farmer's markets.
2. Be sure to recycle all the paper, plastic bottles, glass and aluminum that you can.
3. Use solar or more energy-efficient lights to reduce energy use.
4. Reduce battery usage by using rechargeable batteries.
5. Re-gift items to friends and family, or donate them to a local charity.
6. Be on the lookout for gifts and cards that are recyclable or have recycled content , or send e-cards.
7. At parties, use washable plates, cups, silverware, tablecloths and napkins instead of disposables.
8. After the packages have arrived, recycle the cardboard boxes, and take the packing peanuts to area shipping companies for reuse.
9. Place old trees and other yard waste at the curbside on their regular trash collection day.
10. E-cycle those unwanted electronics at the City’s Household Hazardous Waste and E-Waste facilities, located at 1176 Pineridge Road, Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., and 1195 Lance Road, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
11. Register for Recycling Perks by logging on to recyclingperks.com, to save money on various gifts, food items, and other merchandise.
Click here for more information.