Electrical short sparked fire at Beach condos

Print
Email
|

by WVEC.com

WVEC.com

Posted on August 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Updated Thursday, Oct 17 at 4:48 PM

Va. Beach high rise fire

View larger map

VIRGINIA BEACH--Investigators tell WVEC.com an electrical short in the sauna room sparked fire that forced the evacuation of Dolphin Run Condos Wednesday night.

Firefighters arrived at the Atlantic Avenue complex just before 7:00 p.m. and found heavy smoke coming from a first-floor sauna room.

Crews rescued two people from a second floor balcony and three people were helped from a stairwell.

The firefighters were going room to room to make sure everyone was safe as fans removed smoke from the building.

In all, 120 residents were evacuated and no one was hurt.

Battalion Chief Tim Riley says the sauna has extensive damage.

 

Print
Email
|