Suffolk library briefly evacuated because of gas leak

Print
Email
|

by 13News

WVEC.com

Posted on April 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Updated Friday, Apr 26 at 1:41 PM

Suffolk gas leak

View larger map

SUFFOLK - The library on W. Washington Street in Suffolk was briefly evacuated Friday after crews at a nearby construction site damaged a gas line.  

Staff could smell the gas inside the Morgan Memorial Library, so officials decided it was best to close until the leak was stopped.

It reopened at 11:30 a.m. after the gas company determined levels inside the library were safe. Officials say no programs had to be cancelled.

City officials say the line was damaged around 9:45 a.m. and Virginia Natural Gas crews secured the leak by 11:00 a.m.

 

Print
Email
|