Family displaced, child treated after house fire in Virginia Beach


by 13 News

Posted on December 19, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Updated Wednesday, Dec 19 at 2:00 PM

Virginia Beach house fire

View larger map

VIRGINIA BEACH-- A house fire Tuesday afternoon displaced a family and sent  a 5-year-old to the hospital for treatment.

"He got scared, and he got under the bed," the 5-year-old's grandmother, Flor Zayas told 13News. "They finally found him, and, by then, he had inhaled some smoke."

By Tuesday evening, the 5-year-old was out of the hospital.

Zayas was at work when her oldest granddaughter called to tell her about the fire inside the home the family rented on North Budding Avenue.

"We ran to our next door neighbors' house, and we were just like, I was scared out of my mind. I mean, I just didn't know what to do," recalled 12-year-old Nicole Santiheo.

Zayas told 13News it appeared fire started in her grandson's bedroom.

"He said he was trying to plug his TV, and that fire came out of the walls, so, I'm thinking it's the receptacle," explained Zayas.

Zayas, her daughter, son-in-law, and 4 grandchildren who range in age from 5 to 14 are left without a home for the time being.

"It's horrible. They lost everything, so, it's hard, but they're alive," Zayas said, beginning to tear up.

"Material things, you can replace, not lives, so I'm glad. I cannot thank God enough that they're all fine, so that's the main thing right there."