5/30 UPDATE: The bridge has reopened. Inspectors who were at the bridge looking at repairs that were made Thursday night have signed off on the repairs, Public Works spokesman Drew Lankford told WVEC.com.
A contractor repaired the transfer beams and installed new steel plates and bolts. There is additional work that is already planned for the bridge later this year that, along with this most recent work, will increase the safety and extend the life of the bridge, Lankford added.
VIRGINIA BEACH -- Corrosion problems forced Virginia Beach Public Works to close the Elbow Road Bridge, which is between Salem Road and Round Hill Drive.
It was shut down Wednesday afternoon because the corrosion has reduced its load capacity, officials said.
The problem was discovered during a routine inspection.
The bridge will remain closed to traffic until repairs can be made. Officials hope it will be open within seven days.
Public Works spokesman Drew Lankford told WVEC.com that during the last traffic count in February, 11,500 vehicles per day were using the bridge.
A detour is in place for the busy stretch of Elbow Road.
Motorists traveling westbound on Dam Neck Road to Indian River Road will have to:
• Turn RIGHT onto Salem Road and head north to S. Independence Blvd
• Turn LEFT onto S. Independence Blvd and head west to Round Hill Drive
• Turn LEFT onto Round Hill Drive and head south to Elbow Road
• Turn RIGHT onto Elbow Road and continue on to Indian River Road
Motorists traveling eastbound on Elbow Road to Dam Neck Road will have to:
• Turn LEFT onto Round Hill Drive and head north to S. Independence Blvd
• Turn RIGHT onto S. Independence Blvd and head east to Salem Road
• Turn RIGHT onto Salem Road and head south to Dam Neck Road
• Turn LEFT onto Dam Neck Road and continue