Field hockey player dies after snake bite, run

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on April 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Updated Friday, Apr 26 at 12:06 PM

DARWIN, Australia (AP) — A field hockey player has died after he was bitten by a venomous king brown snake in Australia's tropical Northern Territory and then went for a run.

Fairfax Newspapers reported Friday that 26-year-old Karl Berry was cleaning up at Marrara Hockey Centre in Darwin on Tuesday when he picked up a snake. He thought it was a nonvenomous python and threw it into the bushes.

Berry was bitten on the hand but did not realize the bite was poisonous and went on a 1.2-mile training run before collapsing.

St. John's Ambulance operations manager Craig Garraway was quoted as saying Berry was conscious when paramedics arrived. But he took up to 15 minutes to mention the bite. Berry, captain of the Commerce-Pints team, died Wednesday.

Garraway said the run pumped the venom around his system faster.

Print
Email
|