Photos: Bay Island house fire caused by electrical short

Print
Email
|

by Brian Farrell, 13 News Now

WVEC.com

Posted on July 4, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Updated Thursday, Jan 9 at 8:59 PM

Bay Island house fire

View larger map

VIRGINIA BEACH-Investigators say a house fire that could be seen for miles Thursday night was caused by an electrical short in a piece of equipment outside the home.

Dark smoke rose from the home in the 2500 block of Lone Pine Point on Bay Island in Va. Beach around 8:00 p.m. and it could be seen for miles.

At least seven fire trucks were fighting intense flames and several ambulances were on the scene, according to people in the neighborhood.

Battalion Chief Brian Taylor says no one was home at the time and the fire was called in by someone either across the bay or who was on the water at the time. That person reported seeing fire coming from the back of the house in the deck area just before 8:00 p.m.

Taylor says they did rescue a dog and returned it to its owners.

Chief Taylor explained the challenge of fighting fires like this one: "Large home with vaulted ceilings tend to be a lot of void spaces so depending on the volume of the fire it can be difficult to chase down."

Timothy Temple, who owns the home, said his family is overwhelmed and devastated, but they are happy their dog is okay.

The short caught the outside of the home on fire and then it traveled vertically up into the attic, said fire department spokeswoman Amy Valdez.

Print
Email
|