Photos: One person dead, another injured in Va. Beach house fire

Print
Email
|

by WVEC.com

WVEC.com

Posted on June 3, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Updated Wednesday, Dec 18 at 9:34 PM

Va. Beach house fire

View larger map

VIRGINIA BEACH -A man died and a woman was badly burned when fire swept through their Va. Beach home early Monday. 

Investigators say it was started by improperly discarded cigarettes in conjunction with fireworks.

Crews were called to 1013 Kinderly Lane just before 3:00 a.m. after a neighbor reported hearing a boom and then saw fire coming from the back of the home, Battalion Chief James Ramsey told WVEC.com.

Firefighters battled smoke and flames on the first and second floors and found the victims within 10 minutes of getting inside.

34-year-old Erik Stephen Ervin was dead at the scene; the woman was taken to the hospital in critical condition with 2nd and 3rd degree burns.

A man who lives nearby said he woke at around 3:00 a.m. because he heard popping noises.

Ramsey said crews had the fire under control in 25 and kept it from spreading; however, the siding on two neighboring houses was damaged by the fire.

Two firefighters were treated for minor injuries and have been released.

Print
Email
|