Searchers recover body of 8-year-old boy in waters off Cape Charles


by 13News Now

Posted on August 10, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Updated Tuesday, Aug 12 at 5:15 PM

Possible Drowning

View larger map

CAPE CHARLES -- Searchers recovered the body of 8-year-old Uvihin "Ace" Horton Tuesday morning at the south end of the Cape Charles beach, near where he went missing.

The boy from Trenton, New Jersey disappeared Sunday while swimming with his aunt, officials said.   

The boy's grandmother said his family was visiting family in Chesapeake. 

Virginia Marine Police boats, a dive team, side scanner sonar and other boats had resumed the search for Horton at  7 a.m. Tuesday.

The boy's grandmother, Gina Granby, was at the beach Monday while searchers worked to find the boy.

“My son said, 'Mom, bring my son home.' How am I supposed to bring him home? He’s gone. I can’t,” Granby said.

On Tuesday, members of the community lined up to give their condolences to family members who had gathered.

Cape Charles Police Chief will lead the investigation, said Va. Marine Resources Commission spokeswoman Laurie Naismith, including communicating with the corner, medical examiner and family.

Previous story:
CAPE CHARLES -- A U.S. Coast Guard helicopter flew over Cape Charles beach at sunrise Monday, looking for the body of an eight-year-old boy who disappeared while swimming Sunday.

The Va. Marine Resources Commission re-deployed its side scan sonar and has three boats and an airplane searching as well, said spokeswoman Laurie Naismith.

Northampton Co. Sheriff's Office and Va. State Police were also back at the beach.  State Police were utilizing their side-scan sonar to aid in the recovery effort. 

“I’m losing a grandchild. That’s what I’m thinking," said Gina Granby, who told 13News Now eight-year-old Ace Horton was with his aunt off Cape Charles Beach. They began to struggle in the water.

“She said she had his hand, and the wave just came and knocked them and that he grabbed her hair, and they both went under," explained Granby.

Only the boy’s aunt resurfaced.

A jet skier saw she was in trouble and brought her to shore before realizing the boy was missing.

Chief Jim Pruitt of the Cape Charles Police Department said officers began searching for the boy around 3:30 p.m.

“My grandsons, my son-in-law, they said Mom, I’ve never seen so many people that just helped. They said Ma, these people are just wonderful out here. Even though they haven’t found him yet, I praise them," shared Granby. “Losing a grandson, that’s, that’s hard."

Granby said the family was visiting the Eastern Shore from New Jersey. -

“I’m just hoping they find my son -- my grandson. I’m leaving it in the Lord's hands that they find him," said Granby. “Losing a grandson, that’s, that’s hard."

A spokeswoman for Virginia Marine Resources Commission said it deployed a side-scanning sonar to aid in the efforts. 

A spokesman for the Coast Guard said a 25-foot Response Boat-Small crew and 45-foot Response Boat-Medium crew from Station Cape Charles and an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew from Air Station Elizabeth City participated in the search.

The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries was the lead agency in the initial search efforts.

Crews suspended their search for the eight-year-old's body Sunday around 8:30 p.m.