SUFFOLK -- Finding the perfect gift for that special someone is a fun thing to do around the holidays. This means that delivery services such as USPS, UPS, and FedEx are busy delivering packages that are left on the doorsteps of homes while residents are away. This can lead to an easy target for potential thieves.
The Suffolk Police Department would like to offer these tips for keeping your items safe:
- require a signature before the carrier can leave the package
- work with a neighbor who is home to have the package delivered to their residence
- if you know you will not be home at the time of delivery, leave a note on your door asking your delivery person to drop the parcel off at a neighbor’s house or have the delivery company bring it back to the local distribution site for later pickup
- if your employer allows it, have the package(s) delivered to your place of employment
- when you place an order, keep an eye on tracking information so that you know when delivery may occur so that you can be there to accept the package
- pay for insurance on expensive gifts