PORTSMOUTH -- A hazmat situation led Portsmouth Fire Departmant to block off a large area in the vicinity of Airline and Victory Blvds. Saturday morning.
This unfolded shortly after 9 a.m. in the 2600 block ofAirline Blvd. at a large industrial campus that hoses the manufacturing facilities for a company called Lindab - a manufacturer of ventilation and drainage systems. A fire department spokesperson said that a forklift apparently accidently pierced a large propane storage tank, leading to a significant leak.
No evacuations were required as the facility was not staffed. However, the fire department established a large perimeter aroung the facility until appropriate personnel could secure the tank and contain the leak.
There are few if any residences in the area, so the no-entry perimeter mostly affected traffic.
The fire department spokesperson expected everything to be cleared and reopened by noon.