Manteo, NC -- The National Park Service will begin closing its Outer Banks parks Wednesday as part of its Hurricane Plan in anticipation of Tropical Storm Arthur.
The following NPS facilities are affected:
• All NPS campgrounds, Ocracoke, Frisco, Cape Point and Oregon Inlet will close at noon, Wed., July 2 and remain closed until further notice. The Ocracoke campground reservation system has been temporarily suspended.
• Silver Lake Marina NPS docks will close at noon Wednesday, July 2.
• Ocracoke and Hatteras Island NPS Visitor Centers will close at noon on Wed., July 2 and then remain closed until further notice. Bodie Island Visitor Center, Wright Brothers National Memorial and Fort Raleigh National Historic Site will be closed Thursday and Friday, July 3 and 4. Previously scheduled evening programs are cancelled as of Wed., July 2 until further notice.
• Lifeguard beach operations at Ocracoke, Buxton, and Coquina will close at noon on Wed., July 2 until further notice.
• The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse will close at noon Wed., July 2 and remain closed until further notice. All park special programs scheduled have been cancelled until further notice.
• The Bodie Island Lighthouse will close at 6:30 pm on Wed., July 2 and the climbing reservation system has been temporarily suspended beginning Thursday, July 3.
• All NPS beaches will be closed to off-road vehicles by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 2 and remain closed until further notice.
• The Buxton and Ocracoke Off-Road Vehicle Permit offices will close at noon on Wed., July 2. The Bodie Island Off-Road Vehicle Permit office will close at 4:30 p.m. on Wed, July 2.
For more information, click here. http://www.nps.gov/caha/index.htm