CHESAPEAKE - A man was killed when fire swept through his home in Chesapeake late Sunday.
George H. Paio, 67, was found dead inside a bedroom of the one-story home on Indiana Avenue around 10:00 p.m.
Paio is a former Chesapeake police officer who retired in 1995, according to officials.
When crews arrived they found smoke and flames coming from two windows in the home.
Capt. Scott Saunders says the fire was contained to a bedroom, where Paio was found, but he was not in bed.
Saunders adds that a dog was found alive outside and managed to escape despite all the smoke in the house.
The home, which sustained fire damage to one bedroom and smoke damage throughout did not appear to have any operating smoke detectors.
Officials say the cause of the fire appears to be accidental, possibly related to combustibles too close to a candle.