Lit bed sheet causes apartment fire in Hampton

Print
Email
|

by 13News Now

WVEC.com

Posted on December 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Updated Wednesday, Dec 4 at 6:40 PM

HAMPTON-- An apartment has been severely damaged following a fire in the early morning hours on Wednesday.

Fire and Rescue received a call of an apartment fire in the 1100 block of LaSalle Avenue at 2:38 a.m. Units report seeing fire from a second floor window when they arrived.

Officials say the second floor of the apartment sustained severe fire and smoke damage. Firefighters also found some fire extension in the roof at the back of the home.

The Hampton Fire Marshal's office determined that the fire originated in a bedroom when a child lit a bed sheet with a lighter. Investigators say there was a working smoke detector in the home but one of the children actually told the family about the fire.

According to spokesperson Captain Jeffrey Pereira, five people were displaced by this fire and the Red Cross was requested to assist. Everyone inside of the apartment exited before firefighters arrived and no one was injured.

The individual apartment has been placarded as uninhabitable due to the fire damage.

Print
Email
|