Homeowner escapes fire in Newport News

Homeowner escapes fire in Newport News

Credit: Newport News Police Dept.

Fire coming from a home on Jonquil Lane in Newport News early Friday

Print
Email
|

by 13News

WVEC.com

Posted on March 29, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Updated Friday, Mar 29 at 1:36 PM

NEWPORT NEWS - Investigators are working to determine was sparked fire in a Newport News home early Friday.

Crews saw smoke and flames from the garage and roof as they arrived on Jonquil Lane around 5:30 a.m.  

The person who lives there got out safely because the smoke detector went off.

Firefighters who went inside to battle the fire had to get out for safety reasons.

The home has been condemned.

The fire department reminds residents it will install free smoke detectors. Just call the “Smoke Detector Hotline” at 926-8009 to make arrangements.

Print
Email
|