CHESAPEAKE--Fire units were on scene of a gas leak Thursday after a contractor hit an underground gas line.
According to Capt. Scott Saunders of the Chesapeake Fire Department, the call came in around 5:14 p.m. at 505 Barnes Road.
Virginia Natural Gas was called to the rupture which was in an industrialized area of South Norfolk.
Saunders said it was not initially known what size line was affected.
Barnes road and a rail line in the area were shut down.
Saunders said most of the workers at nearby companies had already gone home for the day.
The line was capped around 7:45 p.m. and the road re-opened.