RICHMOND - The president of Sona MedSpas says the company is working to legally assume control of franchises in Newport News and Va. Beach that abruptly closed this week.
Byron Ashbridge, Jr. told 13News Now on Friday that the company had no notice that the franchisee closed until getting word from the landlord of the building in Newport News. He states the sudden closures violate the company's policies for franchisees.
The franchisees are owned by Mahmoud Chowdhury, who lives in Richmond, where he has three other Sona locations.
"We were contacted by the Newport News landlord telling us the center had been closed and equipment removed the previous evening. The franchisee never contacted us. We were only notified after the fact by the landlord," he wrote. "We immediately attempted to contact the franchisee and our phone calls to them went unreturned for over 24 hours."
He also said that franchisee has hired an attorney, so the company is dealing with that person.
Crystal Davis said she paid for five laser hair removal treatments and only had two of them. She was set for her third treatment when she received an email notifying her the Newport News store was closed.
Other people have written to 13News or posted on the WVEC13 Facebook page about their concerns.
"I was so glad to see that you guys are following the issues with Sona Med Spa. If they don't refund my money or give me services, I will have lost hundreds of dollars," wrote Sarah P.
Ashbridge also says he's in the process of finding local treatment options for the affected customers in Hampton Roads.