NORFOLK -- The Ghent Neighborhood League is reminding residents to play it safe this holiday season and not become victim to crime.
The holiday season is a busy time and people can become vulnerable to theft and other holiday crime, the League warns.
The League works closely with Norfolk Police to provide residents tips to keep you safe this holiday season.
If your going to travel, follow these simple tips:
1. Don’t advertise that you are going to be away from home. Avoid posting your travel plans online.
2. Stop all deliveries – post and newspaper service. Or ask a trusted neighbor to pick-up these items, especially if you are having a package delivered.
3. Leave a few lights on at all times, especially porch light. Put a couple lights on timers as well.
4. Tell a trusted neighbor you will be out of town. Remember to provide an emergency phone number.
5. Leave the TV or radio on.
6. Check out cars near you and if there are people “just sitting” in the vehicles. Avoid parking near delivery vans, campers or vehicles with heavy tinting on windows.
7. Report anything suspicious.
8. Keep the doors locked till right before you need to get in and out of the vehicle.