Benghazi attack suspect in federal custody

Benghazi attack suspect in federal custody

Credit: Associated Press

Benghazi attack suspect in federal custody

Print
Email
|

by Kevin Johnson - USA Today

WVEC.com

Posted on June 28, 2014 at 12:28 PM

WASHINGTON — Nearly two weeks after his capture in Libya, a key suspect in the 2012 deadly attack on the American diplomatic outpost in Benghazi, arrived in the U.S. on Saturday to face criminal charges in the attack.

Ahmed Abu Khatallah, an alleged senior leader of the Benghazi branch of the terror group Ansar al-Sharia, was being detained and questioned on a U.S. warship since his capture and transport to the area where he will be prosecuted in a D.C. federal court, which had heightened security Saturday.

U.S. Attorney Spokesman William Miller declined further comment about Khatallah, who faces criminal charges in the deaths of the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans.

Khatallah could make his first court appearance in D.C. as early as Saturday afternoon, a U.S. official said. The official, who is not authorized to comment publicly on the matter, said Khatallah was transported from the Navy vessel by helicopter and into law enforcement custody.

Authorities said Khatallah had become more careful in recent months to conceal his movements, perhaps related to last fall's capture of alleged al-Qaeda operative Anas al-Libi in Tripoli. American forces seized Khatallah June 15 just south of Benghazi in an operation that also involved U.S. law enforcement officials.

A criminal complaint filed in Washington accused Khatallah of "killing a person in the course of an attack on a federal facility involving the use of a firearm and dangerous weapon." It charged him with "providing, attempting and conspiring to provide material support to terrorists, resulting in death" at Benghazi.

Khatallah is described by some terror analysts as a man stridently anti-U.S. who has been aligned with the Ansar al-Shariah militia group suspected in the consulate attack.

However, he has repeatedly denied involvement in the attacks in interviews with several news organizations and appeared content to live in the open in the weeks after the attacks, even though he was being eyed as a target.

"I am a Libyan citizen, and the American government has nothing to do with me," Khatallah told the Associated Press last year. "I am in my city, having a normal life and have no troubles and if they have an inquiry to make, they should get in touch with Libyan authorities."

Contributing: The Associated Press

Print
Email
|