WILLIAMSBURG -- Nine people have been displaced following a late night apartment fire in Williamsburg Sunday.
Heavy smoke could be seen coming from the second floor of the building, located in the 500 block of York Street, when crews arrived on scene, fire officials said.
"All the roads were closed and there were a lot of police here and a lot of water everywhere," Ricard Carpio, a person living in the apartment building on fire, said.
Originally, officials thought the fire was sparked by the heating and air conditioning system on the back of the building. After further investigation, it turned out to be something more electrically complex.
"It had actually started from a wire that was connected to a security light and some kind of way. A nail came in contact with that wire and apparently, over the years, it started to wear and it appeared that it shorted out and ignited materials in the attic," Williamsburg Fire Department spokesman Eric Stone said.
Nobody was hurt in the fire.
Stone said Williamsburg Human Services is helping the displaced family get back on their feet.