Shooter in D.C. Navy Yard attack previously arrested in Seattle

Shooter in D.C. Navy Yard attack previously arrested in Seattle

Credit: FBI / NBC

Shooter in D.C. Navy Yard attack previously arrested in Seattle

Print
Email
|

by ERIC TUCKER, BRETT ZONGKER and LOLITA C. BALDOR / Associated Press

WVEC.com

Posted on September 16, 2013 at 6:05 PM

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Aaron Alexis, the man identified by police as the gunman who opened fire inside a building at the Washington Navy Yard in Washington, D.C, Monday, killing at least 12 people, had been arrested in Seattle in 2004 for shooting out the tires of another man’s vehicle in what Alexis later described as an anger-fueled “blackout,” according to Seattle police.

The FBI released a photo of Alexis and were seeking more information about the suspect.

The Navy said in a release Monday that 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, of Texas, was a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011. He had left the Navy on Jan. 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class. It's not immediately clear why he left.

Alexis had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46, in Fort Worth, Texas. The Navy says his home of record was New York City.

Alexis was one of 13 people killed during the rampage.

More to follow.

Print
Email
|