VIRGINIA BEACH -- Holiday cheer was disrupted when a parade float went up in flames along Virginia Beach’s Oceanfront Saturday evening.
Around 6:45 p.m. the Princess Anne Farm float, one of the last in the TowneBank Holiday Parade, went up in flames in the 1900 block of Atlantic Avenue, according to the Virginia Beach Fire Department.
“It was pretty intense, they had fire extinguishers and they couldn’t put it out,” said Aubrey Phillips who was at the parade with his family and recorded the blaze with his cell phone.
Phillips says the flames shot as high as 15 feet into the air.
The fire sent nearly 10 people, including kids, scrambling for safety.
But everyone made it off the float unharmed, said a parade organizer.
The fire erupted in the generator of the pick-up hauling the float, said a spokesperson for the VB Fire Department.
As luck would have it, the Oceana Volunteer Fire Department happened to be in front of the burning float and they immediately jumped into action.
“They had it under control really fast,” said Aubrey Phillips.
Phillips' cell phone video captures fire fighters extinguishing the flames in just a few minutes.
The scorched remains were hauled off the parade route and less than 20 minutes later the festivities continued.
“Everyone started leaving after the fire but they should’ve stayed around, after it was put out Santa Clause came through,” said Phillips.