5 cats die in fire blamed on unattended cooking in Va. Beach home

5 cats die in fire blamed on unattended cooking in Va. Beach home

Credit: Jason Walsh, 13News

Investigators say fire started in this Va. Beach home because of unattended cooking.

Print
Email
|

by 13News

WVEC.com

Posted on November 27, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Updated Tuesday, Nov 27 at 8:47 AM

Cats die in VB house fire

View larger map

VIRGINIA BEACH - A woman was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation after a fire in her Va. Beach home early Tuesday.

Battalion Chief James Ramsey says the 52-year-old was already outside when they arrived on Stancil Street in Princess Anne Plaza around 1:30 a.m.

Five of her 13 cats didn't survive, he added.

It took crews about 25 minutes to put out the fire that investigators say started in the kitchen.

It was accidental due to unattended cooking and caused extensive damage to two rooms, Chief Ramsey said.

He noted that there wasn't a working smoke detector in the single family home.

Chief Ramsey said it's important for people to have working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, especially this time of year when residents use their fire places and gas heaters are turned on.

Virginia Beach residents who need a smoke detector can call the fire department's “Operation Smoke Detector” hotline at 471-5826, the main fire department number at 385-4228 or the fire station near you.

 

Print
Email
|