VIRGINIA BEACH-Four people, including two children, escaped fire in their Va. Beach home early Monday.
Crews were called to the 3000 block of Glastonbury Drive around 2:35 a.m. That's in the Landstown Lakes neighborhood.
Investigators say the fire started accidentally in the trash can outside and spread to the home. The heat from the fire also caused damage to the siding of the house next door.
It took firefighters about 20 minutes to get the fire under control.
Fire officials say there were smoke detectors in the home, but they were not working.
Any Va. Beach resident can get a free smoke detector through the “Operation Smoke Detector” program. Just call the fire station near you or call the “Operation Smoke Detector Hotline” at 757-471-5826.