Good Samaritan saved in Va. Beach apartment fire

Print
Email
|

by 13News Now

WVEC.com

Posted on April 1, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Updated Tuesday, Apr 1 at 11:20 PM

VIRGINIA BEACH -- A good Samaritan who attempted to put out a fire inside his neighbor's home had to be rescued Tuesday after he was overcome by smoke. 

The fire broke out just after 5:30 p.m. in the 700 block of Arthur Avenue. 

Roger Huff told fire investigators he noticed smoke coming from 18-year-old Larquan Shoulders kitchen.

Shoulders then ran out of the kitchen and yelled for help. "I ran over there and said, 'fire, fire!'"

Huff then grabbed a fire extinguisher and ran inside the apartment to put out the flames, Virginia Beach Fire Chief Terry Tossone said. 

Shoulders and Huff's daughter went searching for him when he failed to re-emerge from the burning unit. That's when they found Huff lying unconscious in the kitchen.

"His daughter starts crying she doesn't know what to do she says, 'help him! help him up,'" Shoulders said. The pair quickly pulled him to safety. 

Huff managed to regain consciousness before medics arrived. He was then transported to a nearby hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

 

Print
Email
|