Beach woman dies in house fire started by cigarette

Beach woman dies in house fire started by cigarette

Beach woman dies in house fire started by cigarette

Print
Email
|

by 13News Now

WVEC.com

Posted on February 10, 2014 at 4:56 PM

VIRGINIA BEACH -- An elderly woman who sustained significant burns in a Virginia Beach house fire last Friday has died from her injuries. 

Officials say the 83-year-old inadvertently set her clothes on fire with smoking materials and was unable to extinguish the flames.

The woman suffered burns to 35 percent of her body and injuries to her respiratory tract. EMS transferred her to Little Creek base where she was taken by Nightingale to Norfolk General’s Burn Trauma Unit.

The woman succumbed to her injuries less than 24 hours later, officials said. 

The fire was confined to the female’s clothing and the master bathroom of her home in the 2500 block of Bayview Ave.    

The Virginia Beach Fire Department says there has been an increase in fire deaths in Virginia Beach since 2012.  This marks the third fire fatality in 2014.

Contact the VBFD at (757) 385-2875 or karnold@vbgov.com to schedule a fire safety presentation or request a home visit.


 

Print
Email
|