UPDATE: Sections of Suffolk Walmart remain closed following gas leak

UPDATE:  Sections of Suffolk Walmart remain closed following gas leak

Credit: Karen Hopkins, 13News Now

UPDATE: Sections of Suffolk Walmart remain closed following gas leak

Print
Email
|

by 13News Now

WVEC.com

Posted on October 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Updated Wednesday, Oct 2 at 3:29 PM

Walmart carbon monoxide

View larger map

UPDATE 10/2: Officials tell 13News Now that equipment inside the store malfunctioned Tuesday, causing the gas leak.

Sections of the store remain closed Wednesday.  Officials say the natural gas meter is still turned off as a precaution.  According to Virginia Natural Gas, it is the store's responsibility to fix the equipment.  Once the fix is made, the gas will be turned back on and the Fire Marshal perform an inspection.

UPDATE- 8:30 p.m.--The store re-opened around 6:50p.m. The bakery and deli remained closed because there was no natural gas going to the building.

After an extensive investigation by fire personnel, several contractors, and Walmart HVAC workers,  several problems were detected.

Virginia Natural Gas performed a pressure test of the natural gas system which indicated a gas leak. The natural gas remains secured to the entire building until repairs are completed Wednesday.

UPDATE: The store is not expected to reopen before 3:00 p.m. as Walmart regional crews respond to the scene.

SUFFOLK-Customers and employees were evacuated from the Walmart store on N. Main Street in Suffolk because of carbon monoxide.

City officials say a customer reported smelling gas in several areas of the store just before 9:00 a.m. Tuesday, so Fire/Rescue crews and police officers went to the store to investigate.

Fire/Rescue units detected carbon monoxide inside the store and the store was evacuated around 10:45 a.m. and then closed until the situation could be made safe.

Virginia Natural Gas workers are there and are assisting the Suffolk Fire Department in monitoring the situation as crews work to make repairs, said spokesman Duane Bourne.

City spokeswoman Diana Klink says no one reported needing any treatment.

Print
Email
|