Suffolk police officer saves elderly woman from burning building

Suffolk police officer saves elderly woman from burning building

Credit: Suffolk Fire Department

Suffolk police officer saves elderly woman from burning building

Print
Email
|

by 13News Now

WVEC.com

Posted on December 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Updated Monday, Dec 16 at 2:25 PM

Suffolk Apt. Fire

View larger map

UPDATE 12/16:  A Suffolk police officer will be nominated for a Life Saving Award after he rescued a woman trapped inside a burning apartment Sunday.

Officer Marc Drouillard forced his way into the burning building and went to the second floor, finding an elderly woman in the hallway. The woman was disoriented and said she could not get out.

Officer Drouillard led the woman out of the building and went back into the structure to see if he could find the woman’s missing cat. Officer Drouillard was unable to locate the cat as the smoke and fire were overwhelming and he could not remain inside.

“Officer Drouillard went above and beyond the call of duty to assist a member of our community. He should be commended for his heroic actions and a job well done,” Suffolk Police Chief Thomas Bennett said.

Officer Drouillard has been with the Suffolk Police Department since February of 2012.

SUFFOLK -- An apartment fire in Suffolk caused by a space heater has left two adult residents displaced.

Suffolk emergency dispatchers received a call at 11:56 a.m and Fire and Rescue units arrived on scene three minutes later for the fire reported in the 100 block of Lee Street. When they arrived, they found smoke showing from the second floor windows and porch of a two-story residential apartment building with four separate units.

Firefighters found a working fire in a second floor unit with heavy heat and smoke damage visible.They were able to contain the fire to two rooms, but the fire left the entire second floor uninhabitable. The fire was declared under control at 12:45 p.m.

A cat belonging to a resident has not been found. On of the residents was treated on the scene, but declined medical transport. No other injuries were reported. The American Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental and determined to be due to a space heater being located too close to combustible materials.

Print
Email
|