Lakeland High School
SUFFOLK-- Students in a Lakeland High School science lab had to be evacuated Monday.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue responded to the school around 9:45 a.m. after a student inadvertently combined ammonia and bleach, which let off the gas vapor Chloramin, authorities said.
All students in the class were immediately evacuated and the windows were opened and a fan turned on to help clear the air.
Five students and a teacher's assistant complained of exposure and were treated at the scene and one of the students was taken to the hospital complaining of lightheadedness and a headache.
Fire personnel contacted state Hazmat officials, who endorsed the actions taken.
The classroom remains closed for the day as a precautionary measure.
Officials say the parents of the affected students were notified of the situation.