SUFFOLK-A candle started a fire in a Suffolk home early Wednesday and investigators are trying to determine what sparked a house fire a few doors away.
Crews were called to the 100 block of Charles Street in downtown Suffolk just before 2:00 a.m. and determined a burning candle was too close to a mattress and it went up in flames.
Damage was contained to that one bedroom, they added.
The family of seven is okay and can stay in their home, but they are getting assistance from the Red Cross, said spokesman Rob Shapiro.
Around 9:20 a.m., firefighters were back on Charles Street to fight fire in a home just down the block. The two-story home was vacant, but people were set to move in on Friday, said City spokeswoman Diana Klink.
No one was hurt. The cause of the fire is under investigation.