Portsmouth replaces heat systems after 2 CO deaths

 Portsmouth replaces heat systems after 2 CO deaths

Credit: 13 Newsfile

Police say 2 people died at Swanson Homes in Portsmouth because their CO detectors had been tampered with.

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on January 21, 2013 at 6:57 AM

PORTSMOUTH(AP) -- More than 160 heating units at a Portsmouth public housing complex have been replaced following two carbon monoxide deaths.

The combined water heater-heating units installed at Swanson Homes are designed to shut down in the event of a malfunction.

Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority deputy director Kathy Warren says 163 units were replaced at a cost of $1.5 million.

Warren tells The Virginian-Pilot that agency officials are looking at converting the entire 210-unit complex to electric. But she says such a move would be costly.

Relatives found the bodies of 65-year-old Leroy Stith and his wife, 65-year-old Inez Stith, on June 21, 2012. Warren had said the gas-fueled heater in the couple's apartment malfunctioned and created a fatal level of carbon monoxide.

 

Print
Email
|