NORFOLK- Public hearings will be held in January to take input on Hampton Roads Transit's proposal to increase bus, light rail, and ferry fares from $1.50 to $2.00. The decision to hold hearings was made at a HRT board meeting in Norfolk Thursday afternoon.
HRT first presented their results to the Audit and Budget Committee in Hampton back in mid-November.
According to HRT President and CEO William Harrell, "Improving the agency’s fare box recovery is a piece of a larger strategy to place Hampton Roads Transit on a trajectory of stronger financial performance and sustainability."
Click here to see the proposed fare adjustments.
HRT says they worked for several months on the development of a revised fare policy and staff recommendations on potential adjustments to their rates.
Public hearings will be held in each of the six cities HRT serves to give the public a chance to weigh in before adopting any changes.
The new fare policy recommendations, as well as public input, will be presented to the board next month. The earliest the board would make a final decision would be Feb. 2014. The earliest the new fares would go into effect would be July 2014.
The public hearings on the proposed fare changes will be held at the following locations. Arrangements for a meeting in Chesapeake are not final.
- Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 6:00-8:00 pm, Virginia Beach, Meyer Oberendorf Library – Auditorium, 4100 Virginia Beach Blvd., Served by HRT Bus Route 20
- Thursday, January 16, 2014, 6:00-8:00 PM, Norfolk, Mary D. Pretlow Library, 111 W. Ocean View Avenue, Service by HRT Bus Routes 1, 3, 5
- Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 6:00-8:00 PM, Portsmouth, TCC-Portsmouth Campus – Forum, Served by HRT Bus Route 45
- Thursday, January 23, 2014, 6:00-8:00 PM, Newport News, Midtown Community Center – large meeting room, Jefferson Avenue, Served by HRT Bus Route 112
- Saturday, January 25, 2014, 12:00-2:00 PM, Newport News, Denbigh Community Center, Community Room, Served by routes 106 and 107
- Monday, January 27, 2014, 6:00-8:00 pm, Norfolk, Olde Huntersville Recreation Center - Community Room, 830 Goff Street, Served by HRT Bus Route 8, 23
- Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 6:00-8:00 pm, Hampton, Thomas Nelson Community College, Moore Hall – Espana Room, 525 Butler Farm Road, Served by HRT Bus Routes 110, 111, 118