NORFOLK-- The Norfolk Department of Public Health will begin mosquito fogging on May 24.
Fogging will take place between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m., in the following neighborhoods: Berkley, Campostella, Campostella Heights and Diggstown.
Fogging operations will take place in these neighborhoods on Saturday, May 25, from 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.: Albemarle, Hampton Gardens and Pamlico.
On Sunday, May 26, between the hours of 5 p.m. and 9 p.m., fogging will occur in the neighborhoods of Ballentine Place, Tucker Place, Ingleside and Ventosa.
Residents are urged to stay indoors when their areas are being fogged.
The Virginia Department of Health recommends the following tips to reduce exposure to mosquitoes:
- Check windows and door screens to ensure that mosquitoes can't enter your home.
- Wear long, loose and light-colored clothing.
- If possible, limit outdoor exposure between dusk and dawn.
- Use insect repellents with the smallest percentage of DEET necessary for the length of time you are exposed to mosquitoes, but no more than 50% for adults and not greater than 30% for children under 12.
- Turn over or remove containers in your yard where water collects, such as old tires, potted plant trays, buckets and toys.
- Eliminate standing water on tarps or flat roofs.
- Clean out birdbaths and wading pools once a week.
- Clean roof gutters and downspout screens.
The Mosquito Hotline telephone number is (757) 683-2914. It is updated after 3:00 p.m. daily; listing fogging locations.