Firefighters respond to overheated hopper at Norfolk business

Firefighters respond to overheated hopper at Norfolk business

Firefighters respond to overheated hopper at Norfolk business

Print
Email
|

by 13 News

WVEC.com

Posted on May 14, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Updated Tuesday, Nov 19 at 1:56 PM

NORFOLK-- Firefighters responded to a fire inside an overheated machine at a warehouse Tuesday night.

Fire crews were called around 8:30 pm for some smoke coming from the roof of a warehouse in the 3300 blk of Peterson Street.  The warehouse is owned by a business called Virginia Materials.

Firefighters found light smoke coming from the building. They went inside to investigate and discovered a hopper full of sandblasting pellets that was overheating.  The pellets had ignited in the hopper…

The fire department secured utilities, monitored the air in the building and let the hopper cool down on its own.

There were no injuries

An inspector was called to the scene to help determine what made the hopper overheat.

Print
Email
|