All clear after suspicious package forced closure of Newport News court

All clear after suspicious package forced closure of Newport News court

Credit: NEWPORT NEWS SHERIFF'S OFFICE

All clear after suspicious package forced closure of Newport News court

Print
Email
|

by 13News Now

WVEC.com

Posted on August 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Updated Wednesday, Aug 20 at 12:06 PM

12:05 p.m. UPDATE: Doors were reopened to the Newport News General District Court at approximately 11:45 a.m. after the package found earlier in the morning was determined safe.

 

*****
NEWPORT NEWS -- A suspicious package was found around 9:10 a.m. in Circuit 1 at the General District Courthouse in Newport News. As a precaution, the courthouse has been evacuated and streets around the building are blocked.

 The fire department's bomb squad entered with robot about 10:50 a.m.

A perimeter has been set up to keep drivers and pedestrians away between Huntington Avenue to the east; West Avenue to the west; 24 Street to the south; and 28th Street to the north, said the sheriff's office.

Sheriff's Office Bomb K9 Handler is sweeping the area.

Spokeswoman Kathleen Carey says all judges, court personnel, attorneys, inmates, visitors, etc., were escorted from the building to designated areas predetermined by an evacuation plan and says all threats are taken seriously and acted upon accordingly.

 

Print
Email
|