Police investigate two separate shootings in Newport News

Print
Email
|

by 13News Now

WVEC.com

Posted on June 22, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Updated Monday, Jun 23 at 5:22 AM

NEWPORT NEWS -- Police are investigating two unrelated shootings that took place early Sunday morning, leaving three people hurt and causing some property damage.

Officers said the first shooting happened off Denbigh Boulevard around 12:30 a.m. near the entrance of Auburn Pointe Apartments.

Fredric Hairston told 13News Now he and a group of friends were hanging out at the corner of Catina Way and Crossing Court when two men they didn't know came up next to them.

One of the men took out a shotgun and opened fire.

"I guess they were over there loading the shotgun, and then they just turned around and started shooting," explained Hairston, who suffered a shotgun pellet graze on his chest.

Hairston, 18, said he heard three gunshots as he and his friends ran away.

One of Hairston's friends had a gunshot wound to the back and arm. The mother of that friend said he was released from the hospital and is recovering at home.

Two cars and an apartment window were also hit by gunfire.

One suspect is described as wearing a grey T-shirt and grey sweat pants. The second suspect is described as wearing no shirt, black shorts and a “bucket” hat.

Fifteen minutes later, around 12:50 a.m., police were called to the first block of Blake Loop.

When officers arrived, they found out that the victim, a 19-year-old from Newport News, already was taken to the hospital by friends. The group was at a party at an apartment. The victim and others were standing outside when they heard gunfire. The victim realized he had been shot in the hand. 

Police did not have any information about a suspect or a motive for the shooting on Blake Loop.

Detectives do not believe the shootings were connected.

 

Print
Email
|