Fire damages apartment above self-storage in Newport News

Print
Email
|

by 13News Now

WVEC.com

Posted on December 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Updated Thursday, Dec 26 at 7:17 PM

Warwick Blvd. fire

View larger map

NEWPORT NEWS- An accidental fire in an apartment above the American Classic Self Storage in the 14000 Block of Warwick Avenue has put two people out of their home.

The fire broke out around 10 a.m. Thursday. Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from the two-story building.

Alexis Thompson who works next door said she heard a woman yelling for help, so she looked outside and saw the smoke. She ran over and went up the stairs to see if anyone was still inside.

"It was so smoky, the walls were all black," she said.

The aparetment was empty.  The woman who lived there had gotten out and was waiting outside.

"It was so cold me and my grandmother gave her a coat. She told me and another woman she was burning a candle," Thompson added.

It took ten minutes to get the fire under control.

Newport News Fire officials tell 13News Now that the woman  and a child were displaced and the apartment will be condemned due to the extent of damage. 

The American Red Cross is helping them.

 

Print
Email
|