UPDATE 1/9: Officials say the fire started when a 5-year-old lit combustible materials with a lighter and placed them in a trashcan. The juvenile alerted other family members of the fire.
Kitchen appliances, cabinets and walls sustained fire and smoke damage.
HAMPTON--Firefighters rescued a woman from a fire at a one-story home Wednesday night.
The fire broke out around 5:43 p.m. in the 1400 block of East Pembroke Avenue.
Firefighters rescued the woman from a rear bedroom and began emergency medical care. The woman was flown to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital by Nightingale for possible respiratory injuries.
Another woman was taken by ambulance to Sentara Hampton General for further evaluation.
The fire was knocked down quickly and is under investigation.
Five people were displaced and the Red Cross is assisting them.