Three inmates charged with aiding Hampton jail escape


by 13News

Posted on September 26, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Updated Thursday, Oct 4 at 2:54 PM

HAMPTON -- The Sheriff’s office has charged three Inmates with helping a fourth inmate escape from the Hampton jail two weeks ago. 

Michael Stanback,  in jail for robbing a credit union,  escaped from the facility on September 25.

Tyshaun A. Baker, William Stanley, III, and John F. Lewis, Jr., were arraigned Monday on charges of aiding prisoner Escape on Monday.

They have  a court date scheduled for November 14th. 

The Sheriff’s office  also says it is taking corrective actions to further ensure the security of the jail and released a timeline of the escape.  .

It says it has implemented a standing headcount during each recreation period and is in the process of installing reinforced security wire with motion sensors around the recreation yard.  

This is the timeline of the escape released by the Sheriff's department:

Tuesday, September 25th

•    Recreation commenced at 3 p.m.  for Stanback and inmates from 5 cellblocks on the second floor. The hour long recreation ended at 4 p.m and as policies and procedures dictated, 15 minute security checks were conducted during the duration.  At 4 p.m, recreation was completed and the floor deputy performed, and reported an incorrect headcount.

•    At  4:45 p.m, an informal headcount was taken and the floor deputy monitoring Stanback’s cellblock was not aware that Stanback was missing.

•    At the 7 p.m. shift change, the 2nd shift conducted a standing headcount. It was found that Stanback was not in his cellblock. The facility was placed on lockdown and the Chief Deputy was notified. He then activated the Sheriff's emergency response team.

Thursday, September 27th

•    An anonymous caller saw  Michael Stanback at a local restaurant,  wrote down his vehicle's license plate number and forwarded it to the Sheriff’s Office. The police  followed- up on the information, and Stanback was apprehended. Stanback is currently facing the escape charge and is also at the Hampton Roads Regional Jail.

Stanback was arrested around 6:45 p.m. in the 400 block of Reed Street without incident.

Stanback was sentenced on September 5th  to 14 years behind bars for his role in an armed bank robbery in Hampton.

The 28-year-old was one of three men who robbed a Navy Federal Credit Union in November of 2008. Stanback was convicted of robbery, 2 counts of the use of a firearm, and entering a bank armed.