Fire officials say white powder in Hampton mail not dangerous

Print
Email
|

by 13News

WVEC.com

Posted on October 30, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Updated Friday, Oct 18 at 4:21 PM

HAMPTON-- Tests on white powder found in a Hampton family's mail determined the substance wasn't dangerous, according to Hampton Fire Dept. Captain Anthony Chittum.

Authorities didn't say what it was, however, but the famiy says it made two people sick.

Police and fire units were called to the 50 block of Hampshire Glen Parkway Tuesday evening.  

According to Chittum, the homeowner and his family found the substance mixed in with the mail around 5:10 p.m.   

Authorities quarantined the two adults and three children and were told to take shower to decontaminate themselves. 

A responding officer also was decontaminated and wasn't affected by the substance, Chittum noted.

The postman who delivered the package also stayed on scene during the investigation.

As a precaution, roads around the home were blocked off and that making it difficult to get in or out of the neighborhood.

Authorities were clearing the scene around 9:00 p.m. and traffic was moving through the area.

The U.S. Postal Inspector is handling the investigation.

 

Print
Email
|