Hampton condemns many flooded apartments

Print
Email
|

by Velma Scaife, 13News

WVEC.com

Posted on August 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Updated Wednesday, Aug 29 at 5:14 PM

Paula Maria apartments

View larger map

HAMPTON--The City of Hampton has condemned 39 units at Paula Maria Village after two rounds of flooding in four days.

More than two dozen people evacuated from their homes when the still-swollen Newmarket Creek overflowed.

"Water started coming in the front door and then I looked back there and the water was coming in the back door," said Lattie Haney. 

Based on the waterline and debris markings, inspectors noted that some of the units had up to 10 inches of water inside.

All second-floor apartments are safe, said codes inspectors, as are some units that had less than an inch of flooding. Residents are being allowed to return to the units inspectors determined are safe.

Because of the flooding, power at the complex had to be shut off and as many as 150 more residents, many of whom are elderly or have special medical needs, were affected.  Power had been restored overnight.

One person was evacuated from the Century Plaza Apartments on Lassiter Drive Tuesday night and 8 units there have been condemned as well.

In all, 23 adults and four children spent the night at Eaton Middle School; some left this morning and the school closed at 3:00 p.m.  It was staffed by the city’s Human Services Department and the Red Cross provided cots and food.

The majority of the residents at the shelter were able to return to their apartments; one resident needed a hotel room, city officials said.

Paula Maria and Century Plaza apartments were evacuated Saturday after storms flooded the area. Many of the roads that flooded Tuesday night had flooded over the weekend. By Wednesday morning, all city roads were clear, officials said.

 

Print
Email
|