HAMPTON -- Part of the roof of at Soaps N Suds, located at 200 West Mercury Boulevard, collapsed after a fire there late Sunday.
Captain Jeff Pereira with Hampton Fire Division said a worker reported the fire just before 11:00 p.m. When crews arrived, flames were shooting from the roof.
Firefighters were still on scene at 5 a.m. Monday, using an excavator to tear down the building to search for and put out hot spots.
Crews approached the situation in a defensive mode, spraying water from the outside of the building because going inside was too dangerous.
It took crews 45 minutes to bring the fire under control.
The worker who called about the fire was by herself. She told the emergency dispatcher she smelled smoke and then saw a light spark. The dispatcher told her to leave the building. 10 minutes later, the worker said the laundromat was engulfed in flames.
The fire is not causing any traffic problems along Mercury Blvd. All lanes are open.
Pereira said Monday afternoon that an electrical malfunction started in the wall by the front door and traveled into the roof.