Child helps keep house fire from being worse than it was

Child helps keep house fire from being worse than it was

Child helps keep house fire from being worse than it was

Print
Email
|

by 13News Now

WVEC.com

Posted on August 10, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Updated Saturday, Aug 10 at 3:58 PM

HAMPTON -- An alert child may have prevented a fire in his family's home from being much worse than it was.

The fire was reported at 10:37 p.m. Friday night at a two-story home in the 500 block of Greenbriar Ave. in the Wythe section of the city, according to a Fire-Rescue spokesman Jeff Pereira. The home was occupied by two adults and three children.

According to Pereira, one of the children noticed some sort of a "glow" coming from outside the back of the home. The child alerted the adults, who put the fire out using two fire extinguishers.

The fire burned a substantial amount of exterior siding on the back of the home, Pereira said. One person suffered minor hand injuries, but no one needed to go to a hospital.

The Red Cross assisted the family with lodging.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, caused by an open flame too close to combustible items. 

Print
Email
|