HAMPTON -- An alert child may have prevented a fire in his family's home from being much worse than it was.
The fire was reported at 10:37 p.m. Friday night at a two-story home in the 500 block of Greenbriar Ave. in the Wythe section of the city, according to a Fire-Rescue spokesman Jeff Pereira. The home was occupied by two adults and three children.
According to Pereira, one of the children noticed some sort of a "glow" coming from outside the back of the home. The child alerted the adults, who put the fire out using two fire extinguishers.
The fire burned a substantial amount of exterior siding on the back of the home, Pereira said. One person suffered minor hand injuries, but no one needed to go to a hospital.
The Red Cross assisted the family with lodging.
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, caused by an open flame too close to combustible items.