NEWPORT NEWS-A man considered Newport News police department's "most wanted" said Friday he didn't commit the crimes he's accused of committing.
“I’m not a menace as some people say that I was. I’m not a menace,” Tyrek Allen said.
Authorities had been searching for him since February. He was taken into custody around 8 p.m. Thursday after getting a tip that led police to an apartment complex on Traverse Road.
He told reporters he was at that apartment the whole time, only slipping out the back on rare occasions.
A SWAT team was called out and then cancelled when Allen gave up without incident, police stated.
Allen was wanted for a triple shooting in February and a July 21st murder in Hampton.
He said he had met the murder victim previously but "had no beef with him."
The second suspect in that killing, Floyd Taybron, is still at-large. Allen said he didn't know where he was.
He said he knew officers were looking for him and that his mother even tried to convince him to surrender.
Allen is in the city jail and has a preliminary hearing on November 14, according to online court records.
Newport News and Hampton Police had put up billboards to try to catch the two.
Allen is charged with murder, three counts of maiming, and four counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony in Newport News. Warrants from Hampton were served last night, Cpl. Jason Price told WVEC.com.
Police ask anyone with information about the location of Floyd Taybron to call Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.