NEW DETAILS: Suspect shot in Portsmouth officer-involved shooting wanted for burglary, gun thefts


by 13News Now

Posted on June 16, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Updated Monday, Jun 16 at 2:50 PM

Portsmouth Shooting

View larger map

UPDATE  Monday, June 16th:  Portsmouth police have released new details about what led up to an officer involved shooting last Thursday near the intersection of South Street and Cumberland Avenue.

A Chesapeake officer was serving a warrant on 27-year-old Michael Smith of Portsmouth on burglary and gun theft charges. Smith was wanted in Elkton, Maryland and had been tracked to a home in Chesapeake.

The Chesapeake officer, part of the fugitive task force, tracked Smith in Portsmouth. As the officers vehicle approached Smith, a gunshot was fired from inside the unmarked car, hitting Smith.

The officer has been placed on administrative leave.

Smith is being held in the Portsmouth City Jail pending extradition to Maryland.

The officer-involved shooting case will be turned over to the Portsmouth Commonwealth Attorney's office for review.


PORTSMOUTH -- Portsmouth police are investigating an officer-involved shooting that involved an on-duty Chesapeake police officer Thursday.

Portsmouth Police responded to the intersection of Cumberland Avenue and South Street around 2:20 p.m.

They found an injured suspect with a gunshot wound. He was taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital for treatment and is in stable but serious condition. 

Donna Hampton, who lives down the street from the shooting, says her son was the suspect shot.

“He’s lucky to be alive,” said Hampton. “They just missed his heart his lungs and all his vital organs.”

Chesapeake Police confirmed the officer involved in the shooting was serving a fugitive warrant in Portsmouth at the time of the incident. 

Hampton says her son was visiting her from Delaware and says she was unaware of any warrant out for his arrest.

"If he did, that's fine. I can deal with that, but don't treat my son like crap and think you're supposed to just shoot him to kill him," Hampton said.

The shooting officer has been with department for more than 10 years and has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, which is standard procedure.