CHESAPEAKE - An early-morning fire casued by an unattended candle destroyed a house in Chesapeake.
A man was inside the Stewart Avenue house, but he wasn't hurt. Authorities say the house was supposed to be vacant and had no power. The man was using candles as a source of light.
Firefighters got to the house around 1:30 a.m. and the house was already engulfed in flames.
The two neighboring homes were damaged. One was vacant and a woman in the other was evacuated until the fire was out.
"The houses were so close together and crews did a great keeping the fire contained," said Battalion Chief Sam Gulisano.