CHESAPEAKE -- A family of six has been displaced after a fire heavily damaged their home in the Deep Creek area of Chesapeake.
Firefighters were called to the fire in the 3200 block of Sir Meliot Drive at 8:24 p.m.
Heavy smoke was seen coming from the one-story home when crews arrived, according to the Chesapeake Fire Department. The occupants managed to escape unharmed.
Two dogs were inside of the home at the time, but one of them was pronounced dead at the scene. Firefighters were able to rescue the second dog.
The cause of the fire appears to be unattended cooking.